Qs and As


Our Materials

What materials does district mooi use? Currently, all of our jewelry is made with either sterling silver, 14k goldfill, or 14k rose goldfill. Our metals are responsibly sourced from the U.S.

What is sterling silver? Sterling silver is a silver alloy containing 92.5% silver (hence the 925 stamp you see on many, if not all, sterling silver pieces). The other 7.5% is other metals, usually copper.

What is goldfill? Goldfill is an excellent and economical alternative to solid gold. It is an actual layer of gold that is pressure bonded to another metal, usually brass. Because there is an actual layer of gold in goldfill pieces, they are more valuable and durable than gold-plated pieces and will not rub off or tarnish. In the U.S., goldfill jewelry is legally required to contain 5% gold by weight. The goldfill district mooi uses is 14k goldfill.

We repurpose metals and use recycled materials whenever possible. Our packaging material is eco-friendly and made in the U.S.

 

Our Method

How does district mooi make its jewelry? All of district mooi's jewelry is made by hand by either Aleksandra or Edward (or in collaboration!). Our jewelry is made to order, so please allow up to two weeks of processing time for your order. Thank you!

 

Our Name

What does 'district mooi' mean? 'district' is a nod to Washington D.C., where we first started making jewelry. 'mooi' (rhymes with ‘joy’) means 'beautiful' in Dutch. We hope our pieces make everyone who wears them feel confident and beautiful.

 

Shipping and Returns

How are orders shipped? Since our jewelry is made to order, please allow up to two weeks for shipping. Once your order is ready, we will ship it via USPS (or USPS International) with a tracking number. We offer free shipping for orders within the U.S.

 

Special/Custom Orders

Can I place a custom order? Absolutely! We would love to work with you to create a special piece. Please send us an email or leave us a note here.